My baby turns One.

1.
One.
Uno.

All mean the same thing. My baby is turning one. Tomorrow is Blaine's first birthday. I have dreaded this day, I have looked forward to this day. Everything seems to get just a little bit easier once they turn one. Others can help with their needs just a little more. And I no longer pump! Whoop! That right there is a celebration. I will of course still pump if needed, but I don't have to worry about it as much. Anyways back to my baby.

This date last year was a Saturday. I had a wedding shower and a birthday party to go to. Josh working so it was just Hunter and I. I remember going to Wal-Mart to purchase a yoga ball and the birthday present. I remember being miserable all day. It was hot and I was exhausted carrying around a two-year old. The wedding shower was about a 45 minute drive and I knew there was no way I could manage that, I was just too uncomfortable. So with regrets I sent Erin a message letting her know this lard butt would not be showing up.

We did however, go to the birthday party. It was a five minute drive from that house and to be honest, I was hoping for a break from watching Hunter while she played with other children. I should have known better. She was glued to my side. She did enjoy herself at Kinley's 4th birthday party though and one of my all time favorite photos was snapped there.
This photo fills me full of warm and fuzzies. It is just precious. The woman touching my belly is my friend Erin's (different Erin from the wedding shower) mom, Kinley's grandma. And I certainly don't look like I feel miserable!

After the party Hunter went to stay the night with her Aunt Amber (good thing too!)  I remember sitting on that yoga ball and it was amazing! I was kicking myself for not buying one sooner though I had not been as uncomfortable as I was that day. It took off the pressure from my hips and lower back. Once I stood up though...

I fell asleep on the couch with Josh around 11, woke and moved to bed at midnight (or maybe it was fell asleep at 10, moved to the bedroom around 11?). Still uncomfortable, but never thought I would be waking in about an hours time in full labor but that's exactly what happened. When I went into labor with Hunter it started slowly, with contractions about 5 minutes apart. I waited an hour to wake Josh, took a shower, packed my bag (yes, packed my bag, while in labor, with my first child). Josh didn't believe me at first with her, we took about 3 hours to leave for the hospital.

Blaine was completely different. It went so much faster. I woke and my contractions were just barely minutes apart. My body had to purge itself of all bad things, from both ends (your welcome). I woke Josh within five minutes of my self waking and I couldn't walk from the living to the bathroom without a contraction. He was so scared I would have that baby at home. But I could not get to the car. There was no way I was shitting my pants. I did however throw up in the car and my luck, my bag had a hole in it.

So from the time I woke and was checked in at the hospital I was already a 9. It went fast! I couldn't wrap my brain around the pain. Caved and got an epidural before my doula in training got there (Hey preggos! If you need a doula, I know a great one! Just let me know and I can get you in contact with her). I hated it! I should have asked for something just to ease some of the pain away. If I would have waited for Jessica she would have suggested that. The nurse then told me she had given me a high dose because of my pain, I wanted no more.

I feel the epidural slowed down my labor, causing my body to not be ready to push until around 4:30. (I was not told this but with how fast everything had went up until that point seemed to come to a stand still.) It seemed to be a repeat of Hunter. He wasn't budging. and to make matters worse, Blaine's heart rate would drop or stop while I rested. When I was pushing he was perfectly fine. I had to roll side to side, they put oxygen on me (even though the nurse said that is pointless). I have never been so scared, I was praying harder than I ever have and was almost to the point of saying just get him out. Make sure my baby is safe, I don't care if I have another c-section. They went ahead and prepped for another C-Section just incase rolling over stopped working and the doctor felt it was best to get him out right away.

I should let you know Hunter was born via cesarean section. I pushed over two hours with her drug free with no change. She was sunny side up and stuck on my pelvic bone (a whole other story but I feel that could have went a little differently). So I was hoping Blaine would be my VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) baby. My doctor was on board from my first appointment but he was not on duty that early morning. The doctor who was on duty was great though. When he came to see how everything was going, he was not concerned with the heart rate issue, said to continue what we were doing.

By this point the epidural had worn off enough I could feel, but it took the edge off. Laying on my back pushing was not getting us anywhere, so the nurses allowed me to use the squat bar since I did have enough feeling in my legs. I squatted, pushed twice and he dropped. I laid back down, they got the doctor and I pushed maybe once, or twice? I'm don't remember, and there he was! My healthy baby boy weighing in at 7 pounds 14 ounces was born via VBAC at 6:10 AM on April 27th, 2014. Over a pound more than was Hunter was. He was perfect.

My first time holding that sweet baby. It was such a different experience than my first. I didn't get to see Hunter until Josh brought her over all pink and clean. I held Blaine in all the grossness. I loved it!


This last year had been hard. Two kids, changing jobs...life is just hard sometimes. Looking back as I feel all gooey and sentimental, I would not change anything (well maybe a few things, but nothing meaningful). I love my family, we work good together. Right now two kids works for us.

Blaine, you have completed my heart from the moment you came into this world. It is amazing how much love a heart can hold. For you, for your sister, and for your daddy. You fit perfectly. I love your squishiness. Thank you for being a chunky baby as your sister never was. I love to nibble on your chunk. I love hearing your giggle when I do. I love watching you with your sister. Watching you bother her and you just laugh, watching her bother you, and she just laughs. Watching you get so proud of yourself when you do something new. Though you sister was never one to put things in her mouth or a climber, you are both. You definitely earned the nickname Chowder. I even love when your orneriness shows. If you are doing sometime you shouldn't or have something in your mouth you shouldn't, I love how you grin when you are caught and take off crawling the other direction. I love how you follow your daddy around. He seems to always think you kids don't like him when you are still little, you have definitely proven otherwise. Just this morning you had to follow him around while he got ready for work. I know your daddy enjoys it, makes him feel special.



Tomorrow my son, you will be a year old. You have no teeth, you have only stood on your own a couple times, you love to eat everything. Seriously, there is not one food you do not like and you also enjoy eating paper. You say mama, bye bye, and night night and lots of random sounds that most likely mean something to you, but we are clueless. You love to wave and clap and laugh with your sister. You love watching the dogs. You are entertained by Koda & Jax for longer than anything else. You also love sleep (thank you thank you thank you!). You also love giving suck-face kisses. I love it too. Happy First Birthday Blaine Garrett.




Comments