Snowy morning with Cujo.

This morning as my alarm went off (Baby Blaine at 4:30) I started checking news pages, & Facebook hoping school was canceled. It wasn't.  And on went the normal morning routine of rushing around, knowing I'm forgetting something. Once the kids were unloaded at the sitter's house I receive the notification that school is canceled. Now let me tell you, it is a workout loading and unloading two children and a bag, especially when sleet and snow is pouring down. Who needs to go to a gym when you are toting two kids around?

A fast stop at sonic for drinks and slowly made our way home, where we had a visitor waiting. Our neighbors dog Buddy. A large yellow lab that gets out multiple times a day. He is nice, just obnoxious and in your face kind of dog.

As I'm starting to unload the car, the damn dog jumps in. Climbs over Blaine, sits on Hunter, climbs to the front seat. I have all doors open, screaming at the dog, trying to push him out. Blaine is crying. Hunter is crying. I have never felt so helpless, furious, and protective all at once. The dog then moves into the front seat so I get Blaine out, fall on our back steps while trying to get him in the house. Then I go back for Hunter. The dog is sitting on her lap. I manage to shield her body while unbuckling her and decide to enter the house by way of the front door, thinking I could shove her in and keep the dog out. I failed. He shoved his way in.

More screaming, more yelling, possibly a few choice words thrown out there. I scoop up Hunter and put her at the kitchen table, run to grab Blaine's seat as the dog is following me. Fast thinking, I slam the laundry room door shut so now Blaine, the dog, and I are trapped in the laundry room. After several minutes of guarding Blaine, telling Hunter that we are okay (she is crying on the other side of the door) and still trying to get the damn dog outside, I gave up. It was like Cujo (except this dog was not rabbied and trying to kill us, he just wanted to play). So I called 911. Felt silly doing it, especially since the weather is crappy and I know they are overloaded with calls. And wouldn't you know it, I was on hold, with 911. Then I was transferred to Jasper County, then to Carthage, where I was told they would send an officer out, but it would be a little while.

Great. Real flippin great. My son needs a nap, my daughter is screaming in the kitchen, and my vanilla cream dr. pepper is going to become watery. I continue to try and get the dog outside, using a sweet voice, shoving, offering a hand full of dog food, finally I'm able to get him out by closing the main door and blocking his way with my body. It wasn't easy.

HELL YES! GO ME! I pick up Blaine and before I can make it to Hunter she starts screaming again. The freaking dog got in AGAIN! The front door was not shut all the way. Cujo runs around our small house. Jumps on the couch (sorry Josh) and sits there for awhile staring at his reflection in the TV. It takes about 3 minutes to get him trapped, once again, in the laundry room area.

And around and around we went. Finally get him out once again. Call the police back and let them know they are not needed, calm my children and take a nice long drink of my Dr. Pepper wishing it wasn't 8:30am so I could have a beer. Thank goodness I went to Sonic before coming home.

So now we are holed up while Cujo keeps watch over both doors.

Next time, I'll be letting out Koda, our German Shepherd, who was going crazy during all this.


Oh and while I was typing this, the mail lady came. She had to get out of her jeep to bring me a box. Guess who jumped in her vehicle. Good ole Cujo. Though he saw me opening the door and jumped out to try and make it in the house again. This time he failed.

Hope your snowy day is not as exciting as mine!

Comments